One neon sign that has consistently been part of the Toronto skyline for nearly six decades is the neon sign marking the home of radio station 1050/104.5 CHUM.
The sign was first erected in 1959 at CHUM’s old location on Yonge Street in downtown TO. Over the course of the next few decades, the sign became one of Yonge Street’s most familiar landmarks.
In 2009, CHUM was forced to move to a new location after their decades-old home on Yonge St. was sold to condo developers. When CHUM packed up and moved to their new location on the corner of Queen Street and Richmond Street West, they were able to pack their sign up and bring it with them. Before re-erecting the sign, it was given a restoration and resizing to fit it to side of the new building, which is smaller than the old Yonge St. building.
- http://torontoist.com/2009/06/the_chum_sign_returneth/ (A 2009 article from The Torontoist about the return of the CHUM sign. Includes some details about the sign’s history, including the bizzare 1986 incident in which the sign was vandalized by two nearby residents.)
- http://www.iheartradio.ca/chum-fm (CHUM FM’s homepage.)
(Image copyright: Danielle Scott/1050 CHUM. Used via Wikimedia Commons per CC Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Unported license. This webpage is featured as a private initiative of the webmaster only and is not affilated with nor intended to be an endorsement of 1050 CHUM.)